Many people save their money for years to take an exotic vacation on a cruise ship. They anticipate that it will be the trip of a lifetime. For the majority of people that can certainly be the case, but unfortunately for others, their experience can devolve into a nightmare. If they are seriously injured in an accident while on the cruise they may need to seek legal assistance from an experienced attorney in order to recover their damages.
Common Cruise Ship Injuries
The cruise ship industry does not advertise the injuries most commonly sustained by their passengers. If they did, they would lose business. People want to go on a cruise to enjoy themselves and forget their troubles. They do not want to focus on the potential dangers of taking that cruise. However, having an awareness of these dangers can help passengers to avoid them. Here are some of the most common injuries reported by those vacationing on cruise ships:
- Food-borne illness
- Slipping and falling on board due to a wet floor or other hazard
- Diving accidents
- Tripping accidents
- Physical or sexual assaults
For more detailed information about injuries sustained on cruise ships that can be eligible for compensation consult a personal injury lawyer. After a review of your case they can assist you with a detailed analysis.
Jurisdiction May Not Be in the Home State
Prior to embarking on a cruise, passengers are required to sign an agreement of terms and conditions. This often includes the location where any lawsuits or other legal action will take place should an accident occurs. It is not unusual for that location to be in the home port of the cruise ship line which may be in the Pacific Northwest or South Florida.
Get a Legal Expert’s Opinion on Recovering Your Damages
Receiving maximum compensation for your injury while on board the ship will require you to jump a number of legal hurdles. The more serious your injury, the more difficult it is likely to be and the more reason to seek the help of a personal injury lawyer. You may be faced with any or all of the following challenges:
- The cruise ship line has a battery of high-powered attorneys against whom it will be almost impossible to fight without your own attorney.
- The personal injury claim or lawsuit must convincingly prove that the cruise ship owners or managers are legally responsible for reimbursing your injury costs.
- Any claim or legal complaint you file must include all necessary paperwork that must be completed properly and submitted to the appropriate courthouse.
- If the case moves to a courtroom trial, you will almost certainly need legal representation unless it involves small claims court.
A cruise ship vacation should be fun for all involved. However, it does not always work out that way. If you were seriously injured while on a cruise because of someone’s negligent actions, you may be eligible for compensation. If a loved one passed away from unnatural causes while on a cruise ship, you may be able to file a wrongful death suit. In the event that you have grounds for a personal injury claim or lawsuit, seek guidance from an injury lawyer Charlottesville VA counts on as soon as possible.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from MartinWren, P.C. for their insight into personal injury and cruise related accidents.